Friday, March 1, 2013

The Week Before Uni Starts


Unfortunately this week has not been the most exciting. I have spent a lot of time around Parnell Student Village (PSV) getting to know my fellow flatmates and neighbors. A few highlights since my last blog are getting a new sleeping bag and finding more delicious lamb for cheap prices. I also got the correct size eggs. I got 7s this time. 7s come in 10 in a pack but the size 8s only come in 8 in a pack and aren't much bigger. I've also gotten my Auckland University ID card and discovered I have no required text books. YAY on saving money. But after getting my ID card my friends and I gave ourselves a brief tour of campus to find our classes. Here's a bit of campus. It still amazes me. It's a bit weird going to a University that has 4 banks, a hair salon, a technology store, a bookstore, a pharmacy, a clothing store, a travel agency, and multiple food areas in its student union. Plus the other cafeterias and eating areas that I haven't even found yet. 

Jonne, my Dutch friend, and I booked plans to go hike the Tongariro Crossing over Easter Break. Here's a link http://www.tongarirocrossing.org.nz/ One of the big highlights is that the hike passes Mount Doom from the Lord of the Rings. 

An even better highlight however is climbing related. Every Wednesday night AURAC has a meeting at the on campus climbing gym. Auckland University Rock and Alpine Club provides students with all the gear and training they need to discover the sport and be safe. They also run trips almost every weekend and get us discounts to the local climbing gyms and outdoor stores. So in a few weekends they will be having a huge trip. I met a girl, Lucy, who lives in the flat next to me who is from Australia and is a huge climber. So I'm glad to know I have a climbing parter and she said that she is looking into getting a car. And that means more climbing.

Another one of my friends new is Matt. Matt is from Essex and is a member of the Auckland University Canoe Club. While talking to him he invited me to join the club and learn how to white water kayak. The club has over 40 kayaks and also runs tons of trips. And Matt too has a car. So I can't wait to learn this new and exciting sport! It also turns out that they go kayaking and rafting down the Kaituna, which is the river I just went rafting down that has the 7m drop. So I would love to be able to get good enough and kayak down it on my own.

Friday night was the official welcome BBQ at Parnell. We met the Head of Hall and ate burgers and sausages and socialized. Following the BBQ was a party in my flat for my flatmate's birthday and then we went out and discovered some of the night life in and around the CBD (Central Business District) of Auckland. 

Today, Saturday, we had an orientation beach day with more sausages and inflatable games. It was very crowded. The queue for the sausages took about 10 minutes and it was extremely crowded. Tonight is an orientation toga party and tomorrow is the last day before classes start on Monday. 

Oh and since I forgot to answer the question from the end of two posts ago here it is. Yes, the toilets DO flush backwards. Although the toilets here have two buttons, one uses half the water of the other. All of the toilets are like this and it is just one of the many examples of how eco friendly everyone and the culture here is.

And here is Jonne being a Koala after the beach day. 

4 comments:

  1. This campus really sounds small compared to brandeis. You must feel really cramped. They don't seem to have half the amenities we do. Climbing? You do that? Sorry if my comments are very sporadic. I'm reading and commenting as I think of things to write. Sounds like their outdoor clubs kicks the BMCs ass.... Well we try. Enjoy all these activities while you can. Especially with the warm weather. Speaking of which. I want to hear more about the weather. Did you feed your friend eucalyptus? And I think the United States is one of the few countries that doesn't yet have two flush toilets. Sad... Anyways looking forward to the next blog post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they have a bunch of different clubs for outdoors stuff. And you have to pay a membership which sucks but I think for a big school is a lot better.

      Delete
    2. You need to work on your spelling

      Delete
  2. Oh and here is the next installment of my blog: "today I checked on my cells that were growing. They are doing what they are supposed to and growing. I gave them drugs. Tomorrow I will check on them!"

    ReplyDelete