Friday, May 24, 2013

Don't Forget What's Nearby

I guess it's been a while - again - since I've posted, so I should catch up on the exciting things in my life. Besides the fact that there are now only 2 weeks left in the semester before finals and I'm leaving the country in barely over a month, I've been taking advantage of some of the more local activities rather than venturing throughout the islands to be a tourist.

Rose getting ready to hit the surf
A few weekends back I woke up at midday to a text from Jordan inviting me to go surfing at Piha beach about an hour away on the west coast. Rose, Ryan, and Jordan were all going to surf, well Rose was actually going to kayak in the surf but I decided I'd go along and rent a board since this is supposed to be one of the best surf beaches in the country. Unfortunately, the waves and rips were massive that day so the rental shop wouldn't rent anything. So, while Ryan and Rose attempted to fight the waves I explored the hillsides around the beach.

Sunset over Piha Beach
We ended up finding this really cool little tunnel that goes through the cliffside and faces out into the water, and a way on top of the cliffs where we ended up just in time for sunset. The entire area was gorgeous, so even though we couldn't surf it was a fun adventure for the day. Since there's not much else to say about that day, I'll just add some photos from the day.




This is the same cliff we climbed
We climbed to the top of the right cliff
Cave through the cliff




Today and last weekend I decided to explore the Parnell French market that I had heard so many of my friends talking about. On Saturdays and Sundays until 1:30 there is an outdoor farmers market hosted outside of a French market called La Cigale. Inside the store are amazing pastries, cheeses, breads, and wines. This part of the store is open all week and serves meals for lunch daily. But outside is a farmers market with the standard fruits and veggies stands, but also an amazing bread stand, hummus/dip stand, and sausage stand.
Last weekend I wanted to explore it, so I convinced Jonne to come for a walk on a sunny Saturday to the market. We started out getting ourselves delicious and fresh long blacks, which is essentially similar to an Americano; it's a shot of espresso with hot water. So, coffees in hand we walked through the stalls  looking to see if there was anything we want. Unfortunately, I had already done most of my shopping at the Countdown, the local grocery store, so I didn't need too much. But, with everything looking so good I decided to get a chocolate croissant (I mean it is a french market after all), and a loaf of French bread. Jonne got some figs that looked amazing, and tasted just as good.
Bread Stand

On our way out we noticed a sausage stand. Looking at the sausages, Jonne noticed that he was calling them "Dutch Sausages", so of course Jonne, who's from Amsterdam, had to talk to him. He explained that he tried fashion the flavor after a famous store, Hema from the Netherlands, which Jonne later explained has the best Dutch sausages ever. So naturally, once he told Jonne they were flavored in that way, he was sold.

Last week's Dutch sausage and chocolate croissant feast
With our prizes in hand, we quickly went back to Parnell Student Village, heated the sausages and croissants, and had a delicious Saturday feast.

With last week's successful trip, I planned again on going this morning. So, I texted my neighbor Amanda, who is always up for such adventures and we went down there. I thought ahead this week as well, so having done a lighter shopping at Countdown, just purchased all of my produce for the week fresh and delicious. While Amanda waited for her long black, I went through the fruit and veggie stalls and got those. She got her coffee just as I finished getting my foods, so we walked through the rest of the market.

This week, I got another chocolate croissant and different Dutch sausage (they were damn good sausage) and we headed back to Parnell. The breakfast feast of this week was an omelette filled with Dutch sausage, carmelized onions, and edam cheese. With a side of a chocolate croissant and toast and jam, and of course some tea. It was delicious.
This weeks omelette and croissant feast



No comments:

Post a Comment